221 users onlineYou are not loggend in.  Login
New Activity AFTER Radiation Treatments
01/07/20 20:23
harryzone 
01/07/20 20:23
harryzone 
New Activity AFTER Radiation Treatments

Hi All

In October of 2018 I noticed some nodules in each hand. They seemed active and were bothersome. I had radiation treatments in Feb and Apr of 2019. Things seemed to settle down a few weeks/months after my treatments. This week however they seem to be "reactivated". They are itching and seem like they are getting ACTIVE again. And one particular nodule near the treatment line seems to be growing a bit.

My questions:
1) Has anyone experienced this same type of thing and what were the outcomes? If so, did you need or get further treatments?
2) Is this ABNORMAL for post radiation reaction within the first full year of treatment?

I thought I had this licked with the radiation treatments and now Im concerned that they didn't work for me. Would like any suggestions from other who may have gone through similar experiences.

Any help would be appreciated.

Harryzone

PS not real confident in my radiation doctors answers because Im not sure he marked off the proper margins for my original treatments

Edited 01/07/20 22:23

01/08/20 21:48
spanishbuddha 

Administrator

01/08/20 21:48
spanishbuddha 

Administrator

Re: New Activity AFTER Radiation Treatments

Hi Harry,

It’s not clear if the activity you are seeing is in the radiated treatment zone, on the edge or outside. Typically most of the palm and lower third of the fingers is included to provide a margin where obvious disease is not detected; although of course the size of this field does depend on what the physical examination finds. See https://www.dupuytren-online.info/Forum_...50943427.html#2

Another consideration is whether you was treated at the appropriate time, whilst there were previous and current active symptoms of disease? RT is not a prophylactic and so does not prevent the possibility of new disease arising even within the irradiated field.

Some people take a while to respond to RT and some state that their symptoms increase after RT for a short while, pain, itching, redness, swelling, etc, although it usually settles within six months. I had ongoing symptoms for 18 months after RT on one hand before it settled but no new nodules. However I did have new nodules within the irradiated field after RT on on another occasion after I injured my hand; this also settled eventually but took several months.

I would ask your consulting doctor or radiologist for their opinion.

Best wishes SB

Edited 01/09/20 08:58

01/11/20 23:35
harryzone 
01/11/20 23:35
harryzone 
Re: New Activity AFTER Radiation Treatments

Thanks for the response SB. Much appreciated.

experiences   eventually   radiologist   possibility   treatment   examination   Activity   suggestions   symptoms   irradiated   Treatments   appropriate   Radiation   appreciated   prophylactic   consideration   reactivated   experienced   dupuytren-online   bothersome