New nodule after 2 1/2 years - Bummer!
 1 2
 1 2
11/13/2011 04:04
flojo 
11/13/2011 04:04
flojo 
New nodule after 2 1/2 years - Bummer!

A brand new sore nodule came out of no where and popped out on my middle finger, ring finger side, just above the carpometacarpal (CMC) joint. It's on my right hand that I had RT on over two years ago. RT was done in July 2009 on the entire palm and included the CMC joints of all fingers. NA had been done in March 2009 on cords in my palm.

No new nodules in the irradiated area. As far as I am concerned, RT was successful for me, so there are successful treatment protocols other than the 5x3 plus 5x3 3 months later that Prof. Seegenschmiedt uses. Nothing wrong with his protocol at all, but two consecutive weeks of 5 days x 2 stopped the progression of my Dupuytren's Disease. If I get RT again, I plan to go to Loma Linda University Medical Center where their research shows that a protocol for RT of 7x3 is best. That is a little more radiation (21 instead of 20) in a shorter period of time (7 instead of 10 days). That may make more dryness, but if it stops this stupid disease, it's worth it to me.

I had NA done again on cords in my palm and also the little finger in July by Dr. Denkler.
I anticipate needing NA every 2-3 years :-(

But a new nodule now! Almost overnight! It's the nature of sneaky disease. Can't think of anything different going on in my life. This disease is weird' I have a dimpling and a cord developing in the palm, but no new nodules in my palm. RT is not effective on cords and "established" DD, only "active" DD.

RT was done in July 2009 on the entire palm and included the CMC joints of ALL fingers. Nodules showed up in May 2010 on the inside of the first joint of my little finger and in the web of my thumb. Had RT on both of those spots again. Nodule in web - gone. Nodules in my little finger not progressing and a little smaller and softer.

All of the above referred to my right hand. Now my left hand - visible cords not causing contracture. About a year ago, nodules appeared above and below the CMC joint of my index finger. Nodules are getting harder, but no contracture and no crawly, tingly, itchy sensations to indicate that it is active. I'm watching it closely. If my left hand shows symptoms of being active, I plan to get RT on it.

11/13/2011 08:02
spanishbuddha 

Administrator

11/13/2011 08:02
spanishbuddha 

Administrator

Re: New nodule after 2 1/2 years - Bummer!

Sorry to hear that flojo. It's not too clear from your post if the new nodule has occurred in an area that has been treated with RT? I'm sure you you know your hands and this disease but is it really a DD nodule and not something else? Also I guess you look after your hands as best you can, so let us know how it works out and what you do: wait, massage, plan some treatment... Best wishes.

Edited 11/13/11 10:03

11/14/2011 03:11
flojo 
11/14/2011 03:11
flojo 

Yes, new nodule is outside RT area. It is above the CMC joint. I would like to think that it isn't Dups, but I have no doubt about it. I think I have aggressive DD, but I keep it under control with early treatment. I'd hate to think what my hand would look like if I hadn't had RT & NA!

My DD does not follow a "typical pattern" of contracture of the little finger & ring finger DIP & DIP joints, not even the CMC joint. My contracture is all across the palm and keeps creeping until it reaches up into the fingers. I've had no new nodules in my palm and I had about 6-8 and in every quadrant of my palm before the first RT. I had one nodule above the CMC joint of my little finger and had another RT on that spot. Now this 2nd nodule in my middle finger. Not planning RT at this point.

11/14/2011 16:23
lori 
11/14/2011 16:23
lori 

Flora,

I am so sorry. I know I watch my hands every day. I have been concerned because the hand I have DD in has been bothered by the cold this year. Last year not so much, but this year I have been in my fingerless gloves a lot. So far no new nodules, but......I am watching. Take care,

Lori

11/15/2011 01:16
LubaM. 
11/15/2011 01:16
LubaM. 

Flora,

Sorry to hear that you are having "new" problems... this is such an annoying disease ! lets hope that your continued watchful approach helps you stop the disease from progressing !!!

11/22/2011 17:01
switcombe 
11/22/2011 17:01
switcombe 

flojo:
If I get RT again, I plan to go to Loma Linda University Medical Center where their research shows that a protocol for RT of 7x3 is best. That is a little more radiation (21 instead of 20) in a shorter period of time (7 instead of 10 days).
Just wondering who to contact at Loma Linda University Medical Center regarding RT for my Dupuytren's. Do you have the name of the physician who uses this mode of treatment?

11/23/2011 04:52
flojo 
11/23/2011 04:52
flojo 

@ Switcombe --Here is a post I put in several months ago. You can use the "Search forum" in the left column and put in Loma Linda and find questions from others on the Forum and my answers. It might clarify more. If you have more questions, post here or send me a message by going to "Private Messages" located near the top of this page.

Quote:
Dr. Ari Katerelos, a radiologist/oncologist at Loma Linda University Medical Center, a teaching hospital. He has treated keloids with RT but not DD or LD. He insisted on getting information about prior treatment and present area of concern before the consultation. When I got there, he was prepared with research from Dr. S in Germany and elsewhere. He palpated my hand thoroughly and both feet to look for nodules/signs of DD and Ledderhose. He asked questions, listened to my comments about my knowledge about DD based on information from this website and this Forum. He showed interest and respect for my knowledge and research with no sign of arrogance. (Actually, with all the knowledge and understanding about DD form this website and Forum, I may be inclined to be a little arrogant about my knowledge I do stay open minded because there is still so much to learn about this disease.) He provided me with information about the research studies he used, which protocol he would use (7 days within a 2 week period with 3 gy per treatment), and why he found that protocol to be preferable.

It's looking like there will be a next time for RT for me on my left hand. I plan to go to the newbie, Dr. Katerelos. I also feel that if he can treat specific cancers, which are every one different from the other, he can treat my DD. Maybe the key is the confidence I have in him. He clearly demonstrated knowledge about DD, RT, had learned form various research studies, and I have no hesitation about going with him even if I am his first patient.

Another significant benefit is the thorough letter that Dr. Katerelos wrote for me to submit to Medicare in my appeal regarding the denied claim regarding my last RT at Scripps.

11/24/2011 01:05
LubaM. 
11/24/2011 01:05
LubaM. 

Flora,
Great post...thank you. What ever happened with your appeal to Medicare for the prior charges from Scripps? and, is Loma Linda telling you that you would be covered if you were to have RT there in the future?

11/25/2011 06:31
flojo 
11/25/2011 06:31
flojo 

Hi Luba,
Well, Medicare paid for the radiation. They denied paying Dr. T for his radiology services. Don't understand but by the time I figured out what was going on and how to pursue the appeal, I missed the deadline. I then asked for them to accept my late appeal for good caose. Medicare denied that. The greatest cost is the radiation, so I am thankful that was covered. I couldn't get the radiation without the radiologist prescribing it and approving the treatment. It just doesn't make any sense that wouldn't pay.

I talked with the insurance office at Loma Linda and they seem to know how to deal with Medicare and insurance. If denied by Medicare, I feel they will follow through rather than leaving it up to me to appeal. Since I have documentation that Medicare paid for the actual radiation treatments, if my hand gets to where I know I need RT, I would go for it. Loma Londa seems more on top of the insuranse thing and I was very impressed with Dr. K.

That's where I am in my DD story right now.

Hope your Thanksgiving was great!

Flora

11/25/2011 16:59
LubaM. 
11/25/2011 16:59
LubaM. 

Hi Flora,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Thank you for the update, I would consider Loma Linda if I would need RT in the future. I have new nodules at the edge of the web between thumb and index finger, in both hands, these are outside the area that was treated by RT in Nov. 2009 by Dr.T. but they don't seem to be growing or show any sign of progression,
so I am leaving them alone for now, but I wouldn't hesitate to get more RT if needed. The nodules on the palm of my left hand and left foot that were treated in 2009 are totally in remission, so I'm happy.

My right pinkie is bent like a "Z" with a boutonierre contraction, but it has been in the same position for years, so I am leaving it alone for now. My only immediate concern is my left pinkie that is very slowly beginning to contract and I will make an appt. with Dr. Denkler very soon, to see what to do about it.

Take care and Happy New Year...

1 2
 1 2
Seegenschmiedt   research   contracture   treatment   Disease   Dupuytren   radiation   successfully   prophylactic   Thanksgiving   nodules   University   information   Medicare   carpometacarpal   opportunity   vulnerable   documentation   understanding   knowledge