286 users onlineYou are not loggend in.  Login
New nodule after 2 1/2 years - Bummer!
 1 2
 1 2
11/29/2011 03:10
flojo 
11/29/2011 03:10
flojo 
Re: New nodule after 2 1/2 years - Bummer!

Keep us posted.

Happy New Year to you, too!

07/27/2012 02:18
flojo 
07/27/2012 02:18
flojo 

Good news and I don't know what to make of it. The new nodule that appeared on the ring finger side of my middle finger just above the MCP joint has disappeared. It developed 2 1/2 years after RT and came up just like my other nodules - sore spot, nodule pops up, gets about 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter, gets firmer. This one then got really hard and much smaller as it went from soft to hard to about the size of a BB shot. It seemed free floating and stayed like that BB. So, within the last month and about 8-9 months after it appeared, I noticed that it's not there any longer. I keep feeling of the area and it's gone, at least for the time being. This is a new experience, but hey, I'll take it.

I have no idea what is going on, but I have a theory. I had that hand radiated successfully, the whole palm and all MCP joints up to the PIP knuckle as a margin. I think Dupuytren's lurks around underneath looking for an opportunity to attack. So, I think it somehow found that opportunity, BUT it didn't have any other vulnerable tissue to attack because RT had zapped it. I had nodules all over my palm and I don't remember how many, but as I recall it was about 6-8 scattered all over my whole palm. I understand that RT doesn't work as a prophylactic treatment, so I'm thinking that Dupuytren's was in fact active all over that palm just like the nodules were showing. As RT deactivated the Dupuytren's tissue, then maybe there was not any vulnerable tissue nearby for it to latch onto. Since it was somewhat on the inside of the middle finger, it may not have received RT as directly as the palm up tissue. But what about this coming up 2 1/2 years later.

Does this make any sense? Any other theories or ideas about what is going on? I look forward to all comments.

07/27/2012 07:42
wach 

Administrator

07/27/2012 07:42
wach 

Administrator

This might have been just be something else, not a Dupuytren's nodule. There is a vaiety of reasons for nodules in the hand, Dupuytren's is just one of them. As you are suffering from Dupuytren's it's quite likely that a new nodule is also Dupuytren's but if it behaves differently it might have been something else.

Wolfgang

flojo:
Good news and I don't know what to make of it. The new nodule that appeared on the ring finger side of my middle finger just above the MCP joint has disappeared. It developed 2 1/2 years after RT and came up just like my other nodules - sore spot, nodule pops up, gets about 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter, gets firmer. This one then got really hard and much smaller as it went from soft to hard to about the size of a BB shot. It seemed free floating and stayed like that BB. So, within the last month and about 8-9 months after it appeared, I noticed that it's not there any longer. I keep feeling of the area and it's gone, at least for the time being. This is a new experience, but hey, I'll take it.

I have no idea what is going on, but I have a theory. I had that hand radiated successfully, the whole palm and all MCP joints up to the PIP knuckle as a margin. I think Dupuytren's lurks around underneath looking for an opportunity to attack. So, I think it somehow found that opportunity, BUT it didn't have any other vulnerable tissue to attack because RT had zapped it. I had nodules all over my palm and I don't remember how many, but as I recall it was about 6-8 scattered all over my whole palm. I understand that RT doesn't work as a prophylactic treatment, so I'm thinking that Dupuytren's was in fact active all over that palm just like the nodules were showing. As RT deactivated the Dupuytren's tissue, then maybe there was not any vulnerable tissue nearby for it to latch onto. Since it was somewhat on the inside of the middle finger, it may not have received RT as directly as the palm up tissue. But what about this coming up 2 1/2 years later.

Does this make any sense? Any other theories or ideas about what is going on? I look forward to all comments.

07/28/2012 04:32
flojo 
07/28/2012 04:32
flojo 

Thanks, Wolfgang,

Possibly something else, but it behaved so consistently with my other nodules. I'll be interested to see if over time anything similar happens to anyone else.

Whatever, it's gone at this point and that's good. i know it may come back, because nothing is sure with Dupuytren's.

07/28/2012 04:49
GaryBall 
07/28/2012 04:49
GaryBall 

I am of the view that it has simply given up and gone away........the nodule knows that you will not let it beat you.......and that you will win........the power of placebo....

Good for you Flojo.....

07/28/2012 15:07
callie 
07/28/2012 15:07
callie 

Sounds like a ganglion cyst. I've had a couple that reacted the same way you describe.

07/29/2012 14:07
pia2some 
07/29/2012 14:07
pia2some 

callie:
Sounds like a ganglion cyst. I've had a couple that reacted the same way you describe.

Same for me. I've had them on the middle joint of my ring fingers.

~ dawn

07/30/2012 00:14
LubaM. 
07/30/2012 00:14
LubaM. 

GaryBall:
I am of the view that it has simply given up and gone away........the nodule knows that you will not let it beat you.......and that you will win........the power of placebo....

Good for you Flojo.....
Flora,
I agree with GaryBall...it is gone for good almost three years after RT on my left hand I could swear that a a couple of nodules that had become smaller and softer are still shrinking...LOL... wishful thinking and the power of the mind???

07/30/2012 02:38
callie 
07/30/2012 02:38
callie 

That is what is deceiving about treatments for Dupuytren's. I have not had RT on my hand and the nodules which showed up 15 years ago on my right hand have shrunk to where they are not noticeable. But then, another popped up about six months ago in a different location on the hand. Hopefully, this new nodule will go dormant like the others.

1 2
 1 2
nodules   successfully   prophylactic   contracture   Dupuytren   understanding   Medicare   carpometacarpal   radiation   information   Disease   Thanksgiving   opportunity   research   Seegenschmiedt   knowledge   vulnerable   University   documentation   treatment