1 2
 1 2
12/11/2005 23:17
miriam 
12/11/2005 23:17
miriam 
thanks fory our kind wishes

Frances
thanks for trying to send flowers on this site!
and thanks for your kind thoughts
everything helps when one is in pain as I currently am.
let's talk on email if u have the time- regards, miriam

12/21/2005 23:58
Wolfgang Wach

not registered

12/21/2005 23:58
Wolfgang Wach

not registered

rehab after surgery

In our forum on www.dupuytren-online.info a student is collecting individual experience with rehabilitation after fasciectomy. If you had Dupuytren surgery (and I know quite a lot of us had it) and would like to communicate your experience, please go to:

www.dupuytren-online.info and then to the Forum there.
Select "Dupuytren" and then the thread "help! info please".
You do not need to register (though you can, of course) to respond to a topic. Just click on "Answer", input your name, no pw, title, and your answer. If you registered, your pw will be required.

Thanks
Wolfgang

12/22/2005 23:19
miriam 
12/22/2005 23:19
miriam 
post op/ one month follow up

Hi all
well here I am one month after surgery involving three fingers.
STILL IN PAIN- taking vicodin several times a day tho it hurts mostly at nite. Even with pain opills I wake up 2/3 times a nite because of the pain.

I wear a splint at nite and a different more complex one during the day which pulls onb my fingers to keep them from bending.
I've been to therapy 3 x a week and use a hand held massgae/vibrator which is supposed to help break up the forming scar tissue. I have a LOT of scar tissue now and fingers are still stiff; they bend only half way so I cannnot yet make a fist.
I wonder at times whether I will ever be able to use this left hand again !
I have complications I suppose because I am also a diabetic.
I'd like to hear from people who have had surgery telling me how long it took for them to HEAL and be able to use their hand again.
My fingers still feel numb and VERY STIFF !
If you are fortunate enuf to still have a choice on which procedure to use.. I'd say without hesitation
GO FOR NA. It worked for me till I got to the point of no choice other than surgery available.

Happy Holidays to everyone- Miriam

12/22/2005 23:24
Frances

not registered

12/22/2005 23:24
Frances

not registered

post surgery

Oh Miriam, I am so sorry you have had to experience this. My thoughts and prayers will be with you this Christmas.

Frances

12/23/2005 23:22
Wolfgang Wach

not registered

12/23/2005 23:22
Wolfgang Wach

not registered

post surgery

Hello Miriam, I am very sorry to hear that you are still suffering one month after surgery. I wish you all the best and a quick recovery!

Here is my personal experience: I had surgery 3 years ago and had considerable pain in the hand for about 1 month: My hand had swollen and it took about 4 - 6 months before I could make a fist again (depending on what you would call a fist ...), even then only with difficulty. Today I still can feel a slight blockage in my left palm but I got completely used to it and realize it only if I think of it. Otherwise I can fully use my hand again. I have no recurrence at the operated tendon (I had the left ring finger operated, palm + MP + PIP, though it still was probably stage I).

More generally there are unfortunately no fixed rules how long recovery takes. Some lucky people feel already well after just one week, 4 weeks is probably more typical but quite a share of patients (about 20 percent) experience problems and longer rehab, sometimes a year or longer. You don't have to be scared after 1 month but you should have a good doctor to make sure that your recovery is going down the right path.

As I mentioned somewhere below on this thread a student is collecting rehab experience on our web site www.dupuytren-online.info. Maybe you can contact him via the forum on that web site and get more feedback.

I hope you can relax enough to enjoy Christmas and wish you a happy and healthy new year!

Wolfgang

12/26/2005 23:35
miriam 
12/26/2005 23:35
miriam 
post op

Wolfgang

many thanks for your kind wishes and clarifications regaring your surgery. I shall go on the website you suggested to add my post op experiences so that other might benefit; that's what this site is all about!

Perhpas I am having problems because of my added diabetes problems.
I'd like to look into this also. thanks, Miriam

12/26/2005 23:37
miriam 
12/26/2005 23:37
miriam 
post op

Thanks Frances- Appreciate uopuir kind wishes. I'll keep u all posted. It's very slow going and I think diabetes might have something to do with this.
Looking into it.
Good luck to you all.
Miriam

12/26/2005 23:32
Sam in PA

not registered

12/26/2005 23:32
Sam in PA

not registered

Post Opt

Miriam,

It took me about a month for the worse of the post opt to recover and after that, things improved very quickly.

I found that doing the PT exercises was very important and I can't say that I was good at it as I should have been, so stay with it. But, after about two months, my hand was in much better shape and today, unless you see the scar, you can't tell.

But, keep a positive thought and it will get better. Hope this helps.

Tom

1 2
 1 2
alternative   message   quickly   recovery   experience   considerable   rehabilitation   operation   surgery   communicate   unfortunately   complications   fingers   discussion   experiences   dupuytren-online   uncomfortable   themseleves   clarifications   procedures