| Lost password
78 users onlineYou are not loggend in.  Login
Dupuytrens - New and Need Help
06/16/2017 19:14
aloysius2017 
06/16/2017 19:14
aloysius2017 
Dupuytrens - New and Need Help

I'm a 71 year old female of Italian/Mexican decent. About 5 months ago, my left hand began to show symptoms of developing DC. I knew what it was because my sister (18-months older than me) has had it about 10 years. It began in her left hand. She can still play violin, but although her fingers have not curled, it is quite severe on her palm. But, unlike her, who is only in the last year or so developing it in her right hand, the DC is already showing itself in my right hand. I have been treating both palms since the start with topical magnesium oil and Wan Hua oil. I have no clue whether or not this is working. But I do know I still have it, so I would like to try other treatments. I am a person who tends to prefer natural products, so all help along those lines is desired. Also, I use my hands quite a bit. I do computer graphics and paint.

#1 - Call me stupid, it's okay, but I hope I'm doing this right. I started a new thread in the hopes that it means I am posting a message. Correct me if I didn't do this right.

#2 - I am a little confused. A) Do I or don't I avoid anything having to do with collagen? B) If so, what is Collagenase? C) If Collagenase is a collagen-based product, why not just do Bone Broth?

Thank you.

06/17/2017 06:13
wach 

Administrator

06/17/2017 06:13
wach 

Administrator

Re: Dupuytrens - New and Need Help

Welcome to our forum Aloysius2017!

Regarding your questions

A) Do I or don't I avoid anything having to do with collagen?
Difficult to answer. Collagen is a necessary constituent of the body, to build solid but flexible structures and e.g. to heal wounds. Some people think that medication that enhances collagen production might foster Dupuytren's but that is not certain.

B) If so, what is Collagenase?
Collagenase is an enzyme that dissolves collagen. A special type of collagenase can be injected (only by medical doctors!) into Dupuytren cords to weaken those cords and then break them. Nothing you can do yourself.

C) If Collagenase is a collagen-based product, why not just do Bone Broth?
Two completely different things.

If you want to refrain to natural treatment, massaging is pretty much the only thing you can do in your stage. Maybe wearing a night splint might help avoiding curling fingers, though splinting is not really natural. Otherwise radiotherapy would be an option to slow down the progression of Dupuytren disease but I am not sure whether it is available in Mexico and it is fairly expensive in the USA.

Wolfgang

Edited 06/17/17 09:17

06/17/2017 12:37
spanishbuddha 

Administrator

06/17/2017 12:37
spanishbuddha 

Administrator

Hi Aloysius2017!

Just to add to Wolfgangs remarks, people on the forum anecdotally post that avoiding sugar and alcohol seems to help their specific cases, also some recommend a gluten free or vegan diet. However there is no real evidence base that any of this helps in general. As Wolfgang says, others also say that magnesium oil helps, or bio-oil (synthetic formulation of a natural product!), but maybe it's the gentle massage that actually does help, if at all. Glucosamine has been linked in vitro, so it is recommended to avoid that. If you have a contracture then perhaps NA, or Collagenase injection, would be the best option for you, if you can find experienced doctors who practise that.

Best wishes SB

06/17/2017 15:36
BRIANB 
06/17/2017 15:36
BRIANB 

May work in SOME cases ...
I never ate sweets/sugar...do not drink ...no meat or poultry 35 plus years...not diabetic ..never smoked ..

all I did was cut my finger and that got Dupuytren started ...no family history ...

It is a roll of dice ...trauma in my opinion causes Dupuytren ...and the trauma can be subtle over many years , to create the problem ... that is why it is generally and older persons disease ..

06/17/2017 19:19
aloysius2017 
06/17/2017 19:19
aloysius2017 

Thank you for all the posts.

The collagen answers helped.

One thing I want to make clear (not sure it was). I PREFER natural treatments. Like bio-oil and massage. So I will continue to browse this forum for more items like that.

Thank you for becoming available to us.

06/18/2017 04:38
wach 

Administrator

06/18/2017 04:38
wach 

Administrator

You might also browse this website, which explains available therapies, when to best apply them, their benefits, and their side effects. It includes also a section on other therapies, e.g. experimental ones or those which are often suggested but probably won't help http://www.dupuytren-online.info/other_therapies.html .

BTW, smoking is causing an earlier onset of Dupuytren disease http://www.dupuytren-online.info/patient_survey.html. So, just in case you are a smoker you might consider reducing or stopping it. Not just for Dupuytren's.

Wolfgang

aloysius2017:
Thank you for all the posts.

The collagen answers helped.

One thing I want to make clear (not sure it was). I PREFER natural treatments. Like bio-oil and massage. So I will continue to browse this forum for more items like that.

Thank you for becoming available to us.

Edited 06/18/17 07:43

experienced   therapies   Glucosamine   treatments   dupuytren-online   available   developing   Aloysius2017   progression   constituent   anecdotally   natural   Dupuytrens   Dupuytren   Collagenase   experimental   collagen-based   radiotherapy   collagen   recommended