NA Presentation 9/8
09/10/2006 23:26
Gary Pess, MD

not registered

09/10/2006 23:26
Gary Pess, MD

not registered

NA Presentation 9/8

Our presentation to the Hand Society on 9/8 went very well. Drs. Eaton, Zidel, Denkler and I (Pess) spoke about NA and it's advantages. The talks were well received and I think many of the member's interest were stimulated. There were many good questions.

However, I would not get too excited yet. Don't expect your local hand doc to be doing this right away or even be interested in trying. We need to present conclusive data first and that is what we are working on. It will be the first prospective study on NA in the USA. Only then can we hope to really convince the doubters about the results.

Sincerely,
Gary Pess, MD
Eatontown, NJ

09/10/2006 23:11
Gary Pess, MD

not registered

09/10/2006 23:11
Gary Pess, MD

not registered

NA Presentation 9/8

Our presentation to the Hand Society on 9/8 went very well. Drs. Eaton, Zidel, Denkler and I (Pess) spoke about NA and it's advantages. The talks were well received and I think many of the member's interest were stimulated. There were many good questions.

However, I would not get too excited yet. Don't expect your local hand doc to be doing this right away or even be interested in trying. We need to present conclusive data first and that is what we are working on. It will be the first prospective study on NA in the USA. Only then can we hope to really convince the doubters about the results.

Sincerely,
Gary Pess, MD
Eatontown, NJ

[Message duplicated by member in order to bump to top.]

09/10/2006 23:49
Frances

not registered

09/10/2006 23:49
Frances

not registered

Thanks

Dear Dr Pess,

Thank you so much for all your hard work. Please pass on my sentiments to the rest of the team.

Sincerely,
Frances

09/10/2006 23:43
Mark D

not registered

09/10/2006 23:43
Mark D

not registered

Thanks

Dr. Pess:

Thanks for the report.

I heard from Keith Denkler via Email today about the same topic.

I won't post what Dr. Denkler said to me, becuase he will post his own comments within the next few days.

I'll say this - Keith's Email to me was consistent with what you reported.

I'm also hoping that Prosper Benhaim (my local CHS) will post his comments.

Thanks again.

Mark D.

09/11/2006 23:14
Ketih Denkler MD

not registered

09/11/2006 23:14
Ketih Denkler MD

not registered

NA presentation at ASSH

The Washington DC ASSH meeting had about 300-350 doctors interested in updates on lesser alternatives to surgery in Dupuytren's. It is not official policy of the ASSH, and the presentation was a panel, not a paper.

Dr. Seegenschmiedt presented nice work on his use of X-Ray therapy to reduce nodules and lessen progression of Dupuytren's. He was excited to present to hand surgeons.

Collagenase is still years away, but it looks exciting and promising. We all are awaiting its arrival.

I published my slide text on my web page with slight editing for the internet and to make it more readable than slides that would have images:

Link:

http://plasticsurgerysf.com/customhtml1/

Surgery has major complications as shown by my review of 50 years of papers on surgery for Dupuytren's and over 6,000 published surgeries in peer reviewed medical journals.

NA has many fewer complications as also shown in published peer reviewed journals. Seeing the tissue and the nerves at surgery does not make the complication rate less over the "blind" NA procedure.

NA has a higher recurrence rate, but a much faster recovery with fewer complications. Repeated NA procedures will cause complications to be additive over a single surgery. However, long term improvement may occur after a single NA.

My opinion is that NA should be the first step. Then NA may be repeated. If after one or two NA procedures, there is frequent recurrence, then one may proceed to open surgeries.
Good luck with your choices! There is no one approach to Dupuytren's and we all await the release of collagenase by Biospecifics.

Keith Denkler, M.D.
Larkspur, CA

09/11/2006 23:29
Mark D

not registered

09/11/2006 23:29
Mark D

not registered

Thanks for Report

Dr. Denkler:

All of us in the DD community are in your debt.

Thanks both for your actual presentation to other CHSs and for your informative description of the proceedings in Washington, D.C.

Mark D.

09/12/2006 23:14
San D

not registered

09/12/2006 23:14
San D

not registered

Eagerly awaited news

Dr. Denkler:

Thank you very much for the report about the ASSH meeting, the link to your slides, and the brief summary of the status of NA relative to OS.

We deeply appreciate your thoughtfulness in contributing to the forum.

09/13/2006 23:16
Randy H.

not registered

09/13/2006 23:16
Randy H.

not registered

Dupuytren~sq~s NA Surgery Planned with Dr. Benhaim

Dr. Press & Dr. Denkler,

Two very straight thumbs way up! Dr.

Denkler’s published outline of his talk is enlightening and much appreciated.

Dupuytren~sq~s   plasticsurgerysf   Dupuytren   surgery   complications   recurrence   enlightening   Presentation   Biospecifics   published   contributing   interested   thoughtfulness   Collagenase   prospective   Denkler   alternatives   complication   Washington   Seegenschmiedt