1 2 3 4
 1 2 3 4
06/11/2006 23:09
cat 
06/11/2006 23:09
cat 
thanks

thanks Susie and Tommy :)

Tommy - I am worried about sending the pictures, because they do not really show the nodules and cords as well as contractures....maybe that is my answer? - until my fingers begin to contract much more, maybe I should wait and see....what do yo think?

cat

06/11/2006 23:38
Diane

not registered

06/11/2006 23:38
Diane

not registered

Mark YOur Hands

When you send pictures of your hands to an NA practitioner, take different colored sharpies and draw lines and circles where the cords and nodules are and where the scars are from any prior surgeries. That seems to help

06/12/2006 23:49
CAT

not registered

06/12/2006 23:49
CAT

not registered

update

good idea Diane - thanks

cat

06/12/2006 23:24
cat 
06/12/2006 23:24
cat 
update

well -I just got back from my PT appt. (for my wrist surgery rehab)My phystherapist confirmed that since she first saw my hand *2 weeks* ago (with 1 nodule only), I have now 11 nodules and 6 developing cords....no contracture so far, but can you measure the thumb being pulled in towards the pinkie? As I was finishing up at PT, a lady came in with a recent fasciotomy (her 2nd on ring and pinkie fingers). It was really gruesome looking.

I tried to get in to see my CHS this week instead of waiting until my appt. on the 20th, but he was overbooked.

I will call Dr. Eaton's office after I post this.

I am amazed and appalled at the pace of the damage to my hand.

Thanks for letting me vent :)

cat

06/13/2006 23:07
Tommy

not registered

06/13/2006 23:07
Tommy

not registered

degree of contraction

Cat,

Unless the finger(s) have a contraction approaching 30 degrees most doctors will not perform either surgery or NA.

The nodules are injected during NA. We've had various reports on this forum as to what degree they've actually shrunk. The NA procedure brought my fingers from nearly 30 degrees to flat in a half hour session. Dr. Eaton injected the nodules to no avail. On his advice I went to my local hand surgeon (who was impressed with the NA results but still not completely sold) for a follow up injection several months later. These had no effect on the nodules either. I believe these injections were cortisone though I'm not certain. Others have reported more favorable results from kennolog injections. When I have NA on my PIP pinky joint within a year I'll again deal with the nodule issue. In the meantime I can live with them.

06/13/2006 23:40
Mark Donahue

not registered

06/13/2006 23:40
Mark Donahue

not registered

Definition of ~dq~Nodules~dq~?

Tommy:

Please forgive this Newbie question, but what exactly are Nodules?

Are they the beginings of DD cords, or are they something else?

Mark

06/13/2006 23:20
Tommy

not registered

Tommy

not registered

nodules

Mark,

I took this off Dr. Eaton's site under Dup-
FAQ: "Dupuytren's nodules represent the early, active form of fibrosis, and are the hard lumps in the palm."

cat 
cat 
waiting for contracture

Well, it looks like everyone is in consensus! I spoke with Eaton's office yesterday and was told to wait for contracture. I also went ahead and emailed Dr. Denkler directly. I was soo impressed that he responded within an hour or so - wow - cool doc. He also does not usually do NA without contracture but found the swiftness of my DC to be "unusual". He suggests looking in the Kennalog injections and/or Aldara cream. I have been reading up on the forum on both...
Patience in not my strongest attribute (HA), but it looks like I will have to just wait and see. At the speed this is moving, it probably won't be too long until contracture... Both doc's also wanted my recent radius and ulna fractures/surgery to have time to "calm down".

-one side note - since my diagnosis - I have learned that there is DC on my side of the family and on my husband's - hope my kid's don't ever break their arms...

thanks everyone
cat :)

06/13/2006 23:48
Mark Donahue

not registered

06/13/2006 23:48
Mark Donahue

not registered

Nodules

Tommy:

Thanks.

Mark

06/13/2006 23:54
Randy H.

not registered

06/13/2006 23:54
Randy H.

not registered

Angry Rhinoceros

cat:

Yes, we are fortunate indeed to have these great MD's on our side (noninvasive).

cat, as a young woman your profile is not the best for this disease going to sleep any time soon. My Dups was triggered by injury as well and it just keeps rolling along. I would do "whatever it takes" to slow this down. The Kenalog injections have been known to work for some. If I were in your shoes I'd look into radiation therapy as well. Read the thread "Radiotherapy".

While this is mostly done in Germany, there are some places in the US. This would be inconvenient as heck, but statistically a young woman's prognosis with Dups is not the best. I'm not trying to upset you, but I think this is info you should have. (Please confirm this with Denkler/Eaton.)

That's why I'd be proactive as an angry Rhinoceros. Don't just wait for the contractions.

1 2 3 4
 1 2 3 4
Radiotherapy   surgery   measurements   clevelandclinic   disease   information   ~dq~Nodules~dq~   practitioner   unsympathetic   unfortunately   nodules   phystherapist   contracture   statistically   consultation   contraction   experience   inconvenient   contractures   injections